Alternate Outpost Construction Technique
One possibility for an outpost is an inflated tube, as mentioned on the Outpost page.
Another is to fuse the regolith together, creating walls, floor, and ceiling from in-situ material. This would not be as difficult as it may sound: not much is necessary.
- Sunlight, which is plentiful and intense (no atmosphere to block it)
- A large fresnel lens
- A precise positioning system to focus the lens on the regolith
- A system to add regolith as necessary: either an astronaut and shovel, or a miniature robotic bulldozer
- The fresnel lens could be transported wrapped around the outside of the space vessel.
- The positioning system - a computer, servo-controlled winches, and cables - would be compact and lightweight
This technique has much in common with various Rapid Prototyping methods, especially Selective Laser Sintering